Changes have been made to student visas, introducing a new ‘Student Route’ which will replace the previous Tier 4 Student Visa.
The Student Route visa has opened early, 5th of October 2020, and is more streamlined using a points based system for students to apply. This system will treat all students equally and all students, including those from Europe, will use the same Student Route.
The changes to the new type of visa present two great benefits to students who intend to study the International Foundation Year with BSC:
- Students can now extend their visa from within the UK, meaning that students studying the International Foundation Year at BSC will be able to extend onto their undergraduate course without the need to return home
- Students can now apply for their Student Visa further in advance of their course start date, allowing for less rush and a smoother onboarding process
According to the UK Government website:
“There will be no limit on the number of international students who can come to the UK. This will help to increase the total number of international students choosing to study in the UK higher education system each year to 600,000 by 2030, as set out in the International Education Strategy published in March 2019.”
Students require a total of 70 points to be granted a visa to study at a UK university. Points can be achieved based on having the following:
- An approved offer from BSC
- Minimum level of English requirement (in most cases proved by a Secure English Language Test)
- Proof of being able to support themselves financially while in the UK
More information on the Student Route visa can be found online here.
Your route to university
If you want to start your university career in the United Kingdom then take a look at our University Pathways courses. From online pre-sessional options to an International Foundation Year in the UK. Your route to university starts here.