In partnership with National Geographic Learning, BSC have created two special online courses that teach students how to focus on the skills and learning strategies they need to progress in the workplace or into higher education.
There are two courses in the programme; Online Skills for Academic Success prepares students for working effectively and confidently in an academic environment such as college or university. This is ideally suited for those students that want to continue studying in an English-speaking environment or in preparation for an exam.
The other course, Online Skills for Career Success, is designed to develop the confidence and abilities students need to express themselves powerfully in English in the workplace and is of huge benefit for those seeking to advance their career.
Online lessons are delivered by BSC teachers through a range of software which also builds students' digital skills and their familiarity with completing online project work. Students also have access to hundreds of hours of specialised English material and guided self-study in their myBSC account.
Classes, which start every Monday, are part of a 12 week programme which includes 10 live, online lessons of 50 minutes each, per week. There are morning and afternoon lessons and for courses of 15, 20 or 25 lessons per week, the Online Skills for Success lessons can be combined with BSC's Online General English programme.
Students receive a pre-course test to establish their level of English, which allows the tutor to create a bespoke learning plan. In one-to-one tutorials with the teacher, specific goals are set and a students' ongoing progress is discussed. This tailored structure ensures that each student gets the most from the course.
The aims of the Skills for Success courses are:
- To better prepare students to work effectively and confidently in an academic or work setting
- Use English to demonstrate and develop 21st Century Skills that are demanded in the workplace and in academic settings
- Improve teamwork, creativity, presentation skills and critical thinking abilities
- Advance digital competency through project work
- To create a digital record of work that shows an ability to operate in English
- Form new friendships with like-minded learners from all over the world in a collaborative and supportive online environment