If you're searching for a job in 2020 you might have heard potential employers use the phrase '21st-century skills.' But what does that actually mean? And what are some examples of sought after skills in the 21st Century?
What are 21st Century Skills?
21st-century skills are skills which are deemed essential for working in the modern world. The majority of these skills involve ‘deeper learning’ and the ability to think critically, solve problems and work as a team. These kinds of skills are seen to be highly sought after in the workplace and by educators, business leaders, academics, and governmental agencies.
The focus on 21-century skills is supposed to prepare students for life in the rapidly evolving digital world rather than encouraging students to absorbs facts and figures.
Examples of 21st Century Skills
- Critical thinking- analysing and evaluating ideas.
- Problem-solving- finding solutions and ways around issues.
- Flexibility- being willing to change or compromise.
- Adaptability- being able to adjust to new conditions.
- Media literacy- the ability to identify different types of media and understand the messages they're sending.
- Digital literacy skills- Digital literacy refers to an individual's ability to find, evaluate, and compose clear information.
- Accountability- Accepting responsibility for your actions.
- Communication- Engaging in open and honest discussions and keeping people up to date with your work.
- Collaboration- Working cohesively in a team.
How to gain 21st Century Skills
Read the news
Reading and evaluating news from various sources can help you develop media literacy as well as critical thinking skills
Take a course
There a number of courses you can take to improve upon your digital skills and develop better ICT skills. British Study Centres offers Virtual Internship opportunities alongside courses in Skills for Career and Academic Success which allow students to learn through creative projects.
Engage in debate
Discussing and debating new ideas can help you develop skills such as communication, flexibility and critical thinking.
Find courses to improve 21st Century Skills
- 21st Century Skills courses for Young Learners
- Virtual Internships
- General English with Skills for Success
We're here to help
Every year we help thousands of students get the skills they need to reach their goals.