As part of the #WelcomeToBritain campaign we asked our teachers and staff at English Language Centre York what you can do for free in York, and here are their top 10 recommendations:
Photo: National Railway Museum © TheTurfBurner
1. See the country’s greatest steam trains at the National Railway Museum
2. Find out what life was like in an old Benedictine priory at the ‘Monks of Micklegate’ exhibition, at the Holy Trinity Priory
Photo: St Mary's Abbey © Kaly99
3. Discover the peace and tranquillity of the ten-acre botanical Museum Gardens and St Mary's Abbey
4. Walk around the ancient city walls for the best views of York Minster, immersing yourself in medieval history
Photo: Rowntree Park © Vincej
5. Pack a picnic and enjoy a sunny day in Rowntree Park
6. Take some outdoor games down to the river bank, or simply wander along the river and enjoy the views!
Photo: Clifford's Tower
7. Check out the ancient architecture, like Clifford’s Tower, a 13th-century castle keep
8. Go on a free walking tour around the city, available every day from Museum Gardens
Photo: Museum Gardens © David Dixon
9. Taste different foods at one of York’s food festivals or street markets – visit in September-October and you’ll be there in time for the York Food & Drink Festival, the biggest food festival in the UK!