EU Comenius Funding
Up to €1700 Comenius funding is available from the European Commission to help teachers of English to follow accredited training courses. All BSC Teacher Training courses are eligible for Comenius funding.
Under the European Union's Lifelong Learning Programme, grants are available to enable teachers to participate in training courses lasting between one and four weeks in a country other than the country in which they normally work.
Comenius funding is for teachers of children and young learners. Grundtvig funding is for teachers of adults (over 25s) and those over 18 but not in education or vocational training. Teachers working in adult education can apply for Grundtvig funding.
Currently, the programme is open to participants from the following countries:
- The twenty-five Member States of the European Union
- The EU accession states: Bulgaria, Romania and Turkey
To be eligible for a grant to participate in a training course for language teachers under the Lifelong Learning Programme, applicants must be one of the following:
- A qualified and practising teacher of an official language of the EU
- A trainer of foreign language teachers
- A teacher re-training as a foreign language teacher
- A primary school teacher whose responsibilities include teaching foreign languages
- A teacher of other subjects through the medium of a foreign language
- A language teacher re-entering the profession after a period away from teaching
- An inspector or advisor in the field of language teaching
Applications must be made individually to the national agency in the country where you work. Your national agency may have specific priorities which can vary from year to year.
Find out the priorities of your national agency and be sure to tailor your application towards these points to ensure the success of your application. Unifying Europe is a common theme, it is also important to state why you think you will benefit from taking this course in a country other than where you usually work; mention the benefits of swapping experiences with teachers from other European countries and of immersion in the language and culture of the language that you teach. It is also advisable to explain how the course meets your personal training needs and how it may benefit those you teach and work alongside once you are able to apply your newly learnt skills on your return to work.
Remember, each national agency will receive a great number of applications for funding and not all will be successful so you need to make your application stand out and address the main criteria of the national agency in your country which should be made clear on their website.
Please contact your National Agency to obtain an application pack. The national agency will also be able to provide information about deadlines, which differ from country to country. For many countries this is 1 March, but a number of countries operate rolling deadlines throughout the year. Check regularly with your National Agency for updates on application deadlines.
Please visit the European Commission Education & Training website for more details.
Applying for an Overseas Teacher Refresher Course at British Study Centres and for EU funding:
- Select the course that you wish to apply for.
- Download the application form; complete it and return to the relevant school making it clear that you intend to apply for EU funding.
- We will send a letter confirming your acceptance on the course and detailing the fees. You will need to enclose this letter with your application for funding.
- Request an application form for funding from your national agency. Complete the form and return it to your national agency before their deadline.
- Inform us as soon as you receive the result of your funding application. Up until this point your place on the course is provisionally reserved. Once you confirm that funding has been granted we can enrol you on the course and send your invoice.
- Pay as soon as you receive the funds. Only once payment has been received can we confirm your place on the course and any accommodation booked.