How to Apply
This section provides detailed information on how to apply for our Teacher Training courses. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have questions or require further information.
If you wish to apply for a place on the course, please download and complete the application form. Places are allocated on the basis of group and/or individual interviews at our school in Oxford. If you are based overseas or live some distance from the school we are happy to arrange a telephone interview. As there is a maximum of 12 participants on each course, please return your completed application form as soon as possible as places are in demand.
Interview and Post Interview
Please allow two hours for your interview in person. As part of the interview, you will be given some language awareness tasks. This is designed to help us assess your ability to analyse your own language. It is not a test of your knowledge of grammar rules. If you don't feel particularly confident, you might want to look at 'English Grammar in Use' (Murphy) for language awareness or Learning Teaching (Scrivener) for the more practical side of teaching. If you are accepted onto the course we will also give you some tasks to take home and complete so that you are fully prepared for the start of the course.
If you are offered a place, we will let you think about it for a while by keeping your place for 48 hours. If you would like to take up the offer, you will need to send us the deposit within this time.
- We will confirm your place on a course on the basis of receiving a deposit of £250.
- All course fees must be received at least 4 weeks before the course starts. It is your responsibility to make sure that it arrives in time. All bank charges must be paid by the students.
- The school reserves the right to refuse admission to any student or to dismiss any student in the event of misconduct or unsatisfactory attendance, without refund of fees. Please refer to our course disciplinary statement in the handbook.
- Travel, course materials and the costs of social activities are not included in the fees.
- No liability is accepted by the school for loss of property or damage to property. We strongly recommend students to take out insurance to cover their possessions, as well as medical insurance for themselves.
You may pay either by:
- Credit card (not American Express)
- Switch, DELTA or other debit card
- Cheque payable to British Study Centres Limited
- Bank draft sterling
Please indicate in the transfer document your name, the name of the course and date. As soon as you have arranged payment, please phone, fax or e-mail to say the payment has been made and fax us a copy of your transfer document.
- In case of the candidate cancelling their place on a course more than 4 weeks before the starting date, the £200 deposit is non-refundable. Other fees will be returned. If accommodation has also been arranged, the £45 accommodation finding fee is non-refundable. The remainder of any fees or deposit paid will be refunded.
- In case of the candidate cancelling their place on a course less than 4 weeks before the start date, the deposit of £200 is non refundable. The return of other fees can only be considered if we are able to fill the place at short notice.
- Deposits cannot be transferred to another course, course date or candidate refunded.
- Please note that in the event of a trainee withdrawing from the course once it has started, British Study Centres cannot refund fees or offer a place on a subsequent course without payment of further fees. The school can offer guidance on insurance companies which may be able to cover you for this eventuality.
Overseas Teacher Courses
For detailed information on how to apply for these courses, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org (Oxford), email@example.com (Brighton), firstname.lastname@example.org (London) or email@example.com (Bournemouth).
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to book any of the specialist courses in Oxford.